Friday, May 6, 2011

Peaches and Cream

Peaches and Cream

Those who decline the struggle lose the strength and joy of victory.
- Help in Daily pg. 28

Sunlight streaked across the sky and beamed its bright rays down upon my face as I fought the uphill battle. Wiping sweat from my brow, I continued to walk up Fountain Valley. Basically, this trail is a steep, long road that weaves it's way to the top of a mountain near our school. My P. E. teacher just loved making us hike up it during class.

I hated walking up Fountain Valley. I detested it so much that sometimes I would make up excuses so I wouldn't have to do it. One day, it came to my attention that I was not having the right attitude and it was all because I was not willing to go through one hour of struggle.

I wish my life was peaches and cream. Sweet and smooth, without any problems or trials. I wish that I could sail through life in a boat made out of chocolate and never have a care in the world. Of course life isn't like that, but as ridiculous as that sounds, it is exactly the attitude that I find myself having.

I have missed out on a lot of opportunities because of the peaches and cream attitude. I turned down these opportunities because I was not wiling to go through a struggle. I didn't want to go up Fountain Valley, because I knew that it would be hard. I missed out on one of life's greatest joys: the joy of struggling and then victory afterward. One day in P.E. Class, I decided that I was going to conquer this ridiculous ideology. I actually went up Fountain Valley, and, guess what? I loved it! I realized then and there that I had been missing out on an amazing chance to enjoy nature and the feeling of accomplishment.

It amazes me that despite the fact that I don't want to go through a struggle, Jesus was willing to go through one for me. We too can chose to make it a worth while labour and enjoy the sweet taste of heaven's reward, or we can give it all up because we want the easy way out. Which will you choose? Will you make His effort worth it?

No comments:

Post a Comment